Friday 30 November 2007

A Series of Random Events

Hello! : )

Again, this entry has taken three days to write. Also, it encompasses the past three days of events, of which randomness seemed to be the only non-random component. So expect nothing consistent in this blog. Strap yourselves in for twists and turns.

Post-surgery

I'm alive and well. Good news and bad news. Life is boring at best and painful when it sucks. But I'm sure people are happy I'm alive and well, especially since I just underwent my first hospital surgery - wisdom teeth extraction for 4 teeth. I think the anaesthetist was a little liberal with the juice; I'm still numb around the bottom teeth and lower lip now, 10 at night. Sure hope they didn't sever a nerve. But for all I know, I'm not even sure Dr ____ took out all 4, can only see and feel the stitches of the bottom 2. Will know soon once the numbness fades.

Also? The anaesthetist is a UQ alumnus, and remembers the "Rec Room", which I assume is the equivalent to the "Red Room" at present. And he was Asian. Seeing his fees, my parents suddenly came to the conclusion that the anaesthetist specialty has a GREAT money-to-difficulty ratio. Plus my mum was surprised that anaesthetists were REAL doctors.

The cannula used to inject the anaesthetic was icky. I mean, it's a hollow needle stuck in a vein. Discomfort++. On the way home, my baby sister Esther thought my ice pack looked funny, possibly because I looked like a bunny.

Seven things:
- Cannulae are icky, hospital robes idiotic, paper underwear appreciated for public decency
- Don't panic in a hospital; nurses can read your pulse. Mine were surprised at my steady 87 despite it being my first time as a patient in a hospital
- The sedative "BLANK" is really really cool
- Don't feel it a need to dribble and speak like a moron when you're on painkillers; I didn't (apparently I'm the king of recovery, speaking with perfect fluency upon waking and not feeling drowsy at all)
- Hospital food sucks, possibly because I was garnishing it was my own blood that was still in my mouth, or because my tongue was still numb. Why flavour the jelly at all?
- Felt a bit weird at being wheeled from place to place like an invalid, but I'm sure wheelchair companies make a good profit
- Boys get blue ice packs and girls get pink ice packs; I wanted a pink one too (~disappointment~)

Home cooking

Some people are aware that I can cook, though I think they just have an instinctive scepticism towards that fact, and have to ask, "O_o, o rly?"........ (~pain~) Wednesday night was my night to cook at home. Went grocery shopping in the morning, during which time I found this.



~Shakes head~



I hope Breaka bankrupts themselves for this unnatural creation.




Anyways, dishes on the menu that night? Stir-fried vegetables with beef, and steamed mince eggs (I'm not sure of the English equivalent, sounds about right). Here are some snapshots.

What do you think? Looks can be deceiving, it actually tasted really good. Do you know how vegetables take different amounts of time to achieve a good flavour? I actually timed the carrots, cauliflower and zucchini so that they were all tasty. And the eggs are missing a chunk because my baby sister Esther had dinner before we did. And she liked it too : ).

But then, Wendy decides to trump me by making the best potato bake + honey barbecue chicken combo the next night (~cry~).

Still, I was rather proud of my creations - proud enough to take photos of them.

The Big City

I was at the city on Wednesday, made some time to get a Starbucks coffee, sit and read for a bit. Coffee was a disappointment. I don't know what America sees in that coffee chain. It was worse than instant (is that even possible?). But the size was good (590ml), ALMOST as big as my cup at home LOL.

While I was sitting, an Aboriginal lady came up and asked me to buy her McDonald's. Why McDonald's? I wouldn't know. Didn't have anymore money on me, but I gave her my box of Shapes, which I'd just opened. She ran off with it, and I was a little speechless, but seeing how dirty her hands were, I wasn't sure I would want them back anyways.

Another elderly Caucasian gentleman started talking to me after this, he had been trying to decipher that lady's almost incoherent speech too. Why did he start talking to me? I don't remember. Really, I don't even remembered what we talked about, but apparently he was a carpenter, and became a backpacker, traveled to Asia, Europe, America, and Australia. Got a good repertoire going there, but I don't like to travel, so I couldn't really relate. Also? He liked McDonald's biscuits dunked in McDonald's coffee, which is ridiculous, because their coffee sucks worse than Starbucks', which is bad enough.

Six things:
- Starbucks coffee sucks
- Homeless people DO exist in Brisbane
- Smokers should stop smoking
- Wearing sunglasses does NOT make you cool enough to death stare me
- Being Goth is not a good enough reason to death stare me either
- City people are more antisocial than suburban people

Miscellanea

- Hanaichi curry is now 30 cents more expensive (~disappointment~)
- Picked up Wendy from Sunnybank and saw a car with a wayyyy hippy exterior, told her to look right, she looked left first (~funnyment)
- Zaraffa's coffee is tasty, but their baristas are a little over-zealous. My favourite coffee is a good cappucino (currently), most are not too foamy, absolutely fine, it's difficult to make good foam. But Zaraffa's cappucino? Filled to brimming as usual, but then the barista decides to glob on another dollop of foam on top. Nice work (~sarcasm~). How am I supposed to add sugar? How am I supposed to put a lid on? Anyways, Zaraffa's coffee is tastier, Gloria Jean's coffee is cheaper
- Vivian was working at Body Shop; I didn't see her, despite being at Zaraffa's for an hour. I'm either going blind or developing glaucoma (~worryment~)


That's all for now :)


Till next write --

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 things:

1)Dad actually said "we're here to pick up jacky chan....oops i mean jacky yau" haha how shameful!

2)your food was great. maaaybe i like potato more than egg but u know :D urs was fantastic. u can even have a pic of mine if u LIKE :D

3)OMGSH DAMN LADY *shakes fist* good thing u brought the vintage cheese one. that one was icky and we just bought the wrong flavour. all gd, we still have tomato and chilli.

4) LOL at the hippy car thingo. even i thought that was funny. just like at the hospital how i saw "push" written backwards on the glass door and didn't realise it was supposed to be read from the outside. "GAHH why wont this door let us OUT"

gd to see u all better now brother!

[~ vonnie ~] said...

wow WENDY...ur so anonymous :D

man jacky nothing like late night reading ur blog...ur another person that makes me sound and look like an idiot when i laugh at the computer screen....

neighbours just see a sad lil girl wretching in her seat.... "how painful..." they thinks

Jacky said...

Lol, I was trying to remember what happened when we were leaving the hospital, but I'd forgotten till now.

And Vonnie, it's a little creepy that your neighbours are watching you at night...

Homes said...

whoa, is this the yau gathering or something?

hmmm my 2c worth is that your blog is awesomely funny and you make me feel guilty that i still havent updated... :S

Anonymous said...

yaaay yau gathering!






oh wait....


damn...



k thx bye